Prepared foods are expensive in general, and snack foods even more so. What if you could make homemade fabulous snack mixes that were just as delicious as what is available at a store? It probably won't come as a surprise to find out that you can! We're listing three scrumptious recipes below that you can make and store in your pantry -- though don't expect them to last for very long!
Chex mix is definitely a classic snack mix; take some to parties, and you'll be greeted very warmly! To make classic Chex mix, you will need:
- 3 cups of corn Chex
- 3 cups of rice Chex
- 3 cups of wheat Chex
- 1 cup of mixed nuts
- 1 cup of small pretzels
- 1 cup bagel chips (or homemade version), preferably flavored, crumbled into large pieces
- 6 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of seasoned salt
- 3/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
Using a large microwaveable bowl, combine the Chex, nuts, pretzels, and bagel chips. Melt the butter in a smaller bowl, then stir in the seasonings and pour it over the dry mix. Stir until coated, then microwave for 5-6 minutes, stirring every other minute. Cool on paper towels and store in an airtight container.
Trail mix gives you an energy boost no matter what time of day you eat it! To make a basic trail mix, you will need:
- 2 cups of chopped dried fruit -- apples, apricots, bananas, blueberries, pineapple, or others, or mixed
- 2 cups of mixed nuts
- 1 cup small chocolate candies
Mix everything until evenly distributed. Store in an airtight container until you're ready to take it with you on a hike!
Puppy chow isn't actually for dogs -- it's a delicious snack for humans. To make puppy chow, you will need:
- 9 cups of crispy rice cereal squares
- 1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
Melt the chocolate over low heat and add the peanut butter, stirring until the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and add the cereal, mixing until coated. Put the powdered sugar into a large bag and place the cooled coated cereal inside, shaking until coated. Enjoy!
GarageSaleCow.com is the best place for garage sales on the web! Enjoy all of our free resources today.